Digital Collections @ St. Lawrence University

Gunnison Memorial Chapel

Gunnison Memorial Chapel

The Gunnison Memorial Chapel digital exhibit consists of a selection of images from St Lawrence University Archives' extensive collection of historical photographs. Many of the images available online are also currently on display on the lower level of the Owen D. Young Library. Taken together, these holdings document the 87 year history of this spiritual center of the campus.

Alumni who may have additional photographs of Gunnison that they would like to add to our holdings are invited to contact University Archivist Mark McMurray at mcm@stlawu.edu

Gunnison Memorial Chapel – The stone chapel, from whose bell-tower the university bells ring every day at 5 p.m., was constructed in 1926.

The chapel is the site of many religious and spiritual services, and formal assemblies. Its larger stained glass windows depict scenes and academic majors at St. Lawrence, and the smaller, head-height, windows depict historical figures who have influenced the university and world in some way, including Emily Dickinson and Gandhi. The largest of all stained glass windows is in the rear of the chapel, over the entrance and reads a famous quote from one of the school's founders: "We have lit a candle in the wilderness that will never be extinguished."

Librarian Paul Doty's personal reflection on Gunnison Chapel is available via the FODYLL Blog

The images in this digital exhibit are part of Archives - Buildings and Ground, Record Group 2 which is housed in St. Lawrence University's Special Collections and Vance University Archives. For details regarding the use of the collection, please contact Mark McMurray, Curator of Special Collections & University Archivist, phone: (315) 229-5476 e-mail: mcm@stlawu.edu